Meeting highlights from the Aberdeen Town Board Work Session held on October 8, 2018.
- Approved Resolution #18-29 Supporting Approval of a One-Quarter Cent Sales and Use Tax. The Board of Commissioners expressed its support for the approval of the November 6, 2018 one-quarter cent sales and use tax referendum and encourages the residents and citizens of the Town of Aberdeen to study and consider this important referendum question and its impact on the future of our school system.
- Discussed the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board and opted to continue having this Advisory Board with specific tasks assigned to the Board for review and only schedule meetings as needed. Due to several members’ terms set to expire, there will be multiple vacancies on this Board and recruitment will soon begin for applicants.
- Approved an Ordinance Declaring Road Closures for the Town of Aberdeen 2018 Christmas Parade. The following state roads will temporarily be closed on December 8, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.: a. E. Main Street from S. Pine Street to N. Sycamore Street b. Poplar Street from E. Maple Avenue to E. South Street - Scheduled Public Hearing for October 22, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. for Conditional Zoning Request #18-05 submitted by Kirsten & Peter Ostby to assign the conditional zoning category of I-H-C to include an Indoor Athletic and Exercise Facility for 0.616 acres located at 105 E. South Street.
- Scheduled Public Hearing for October 22, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. for Rezoning #18-04 submitted by Habitat for Humanity of NC Sandhills to change the zoning from RA to R1010 for 4.65 acres located south of Keyser Street and West of Pee Dee Road.
- Scheduled Public Hearing for October 22, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. for Rezoning #18-05 submitted by Allen Brooks to change the zoning from R6-10 to O-I for 0.27 acres located at 203 Elm Street.
- Mayor Farrell reminded everyone of the 26th Annual Sardine Festival scheduled for this upcoming Friday, Oct. 12th from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at Aberdeen Lake Park.
- Commissioner Byrd reminded everyone of the upcoming Chicken Tenders Fundraiser Plate Sale at the Aberdeen Fire Department on Friday, Oct. 19th from 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- The Board provided staff with the directive to provide more flexibility in enforcing the Tree Ordinance in the UDO, Section 152-317 (A)(1). Specifically, builders who request flexibility in response to this ordinance will be required to keep trees greater than 12” in the 15’ setback area on the back and sides of the property, but some flexibility will be allowed for the interior and front trees due to the potential of an unreasonable burden on the development.
- Held a Closed Session pursuant to N.C.G.S. 143-318.11 (a)(3) to preserve the attorney client privilege regarding Quality Built v Aberdeen / TNT-01126231.