I like making this recipe for my family because it allows me to be lazy in the future. This recipe makes two whole pies. Make one to enjoy now and freeze the other for later!
2 disposable pie pans
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, shifted
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half or milk
2 cups of chicken, cooked, chopped or rotisserie chicken
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
4 unbaked pie crusts, homemade or store bought
- Sauté the first 3 ingredients in butter in a big skillet over medium heat until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and half and half, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir chicken, peas, salt, and pepper. Cool before pouring into pie crusts. Very important!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees for the pie you are eating tonight.
- Prepare crusts. Roll them out and place the bottom crusts in the pie pans and set aside top crust until ready to cover. Pour filling mixture into bottom crusts and cover with top crusts. Fold edges under and crimp. Poke slits in the top
- Bake assembled pie that you are eating now uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Take the assembled pie to be frozen and cover with tin foil. Write the baking directions below on the tin foil with a sharpie and freeze.
To Prepare Pot Pie from Frozen:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bake uncover, for about 45 minutes, then cover with foil and bake about 45 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes.
You don’t have to freeze the whole assembled pie. If you wish, you can just freeze the filling. Then when you are ready to eat, thaw frozen filling, and place in fresh pie crusts and bake per directions above.