(Pinehurst) – FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital’s Women & Children’s department is offering new educational classes for expecting patients and their families.
“This past year we delivered the most babies since the hospital’s opening,” says Beth Tabor, BSN, RNC-OB, C-EFM, administrative director of FirstHealth Women & Children’s department. “With the rise of births, and specifically deliveries at Moore Regional Hospital, we knew we needed to add to our educational programs to meet the needs of our patients and their families.”
New and updated classes in 2019 will include:
• Prepared Childbirth Series – This six-week course is held in the evening from 7 to 9:15 p.m. The goal of the series is to provide specific information about the latter stages of pregnancy, labor and delivery, a tour of the Women and Children's center, Infant CPR and Choking, car seat safety, as well as what to expect following delivery. This class is $80 per couple. For registration and course dates, call (910) 715-2275. It is recommended that individuals call to register during their first trimester.
• One-Day Prepared Childbirth Class – This class is held on the second Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The goal of the class is to provide specific information about the latter stages of pregnancy, labor and delivery, a tour of the Women and Children's center, as well as what to expect following delivery. This consolidated one-day class will not cover infant CPR or car seat safety. This class is $60 per couple. For registration and course dates, call (910) 715-2275. It is recommended that individuals call to register during their first trimester.
• Women and Children's Center Tour – This tour is recommended for parents-to-be during their second or third trimester. This tour is free and offered the second Monday and the third Saturday of each month, at 4 or 6 p.m., and Saturdays at noon. Registration is required. To register, call (800) 213-3284.
• Siblings Class – Becoming a sibling for the first time is a special moment, and we have a class designed just for the big brother or big sister in your family. This class teaches children ages 3 to 8 years what it's like to have a new baby in the home, what babies eat, how they communicate and much more. A brief tour is included. Each child will receive an award certificate. This class is $5 per sibling and is offered the third Saturday every other month. For registration and class dates, call (800) 213-3284.
• Infant Care Class – This in-depth, interactive class teaches best practices for baby care and safety. A registered nurse will demonstrate basic infant care techniques, including diapering, swaddling, bathing, nail care and feeding. We will also discuss typical newborn behaviors, such as crying, sleeping and feeding patterns. This class is $25 per couple and is offered the third Saturday every other month. For registration and class dates, call (800) 213-3284.
• Breastfeeding Education Class – Expectant parents will learn the benefits of breastfeeding, positions to use while breastfeeding, feeding patterns, pumping and introduction of bottles. Breast pumps and other equipment that may be helpful to your breastfeeding routine will be shown. Most insurance companies will cover the charge for the class. This class is $55 (usually covered by most insurances), and is offered the first and third Thursday every month. For registration and class dates, please call (910) 715-2275.
All of the mentioned classes are held at FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital, located at 155 Memorial Drive in Pinehurst.
FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital Women & Children's services include a comprehensive, state-of-the-art labor and delivery program that includes maternal fetal medicine as well as high-quality gynecological and pediatric care. For more information, visit www.firsthealth.org/women or call (800) 213-3284.