The Moore County Sheriff’s Office is warning citizens that the number of rabies cases in Moore County is increasing.
Positive Rabies results are on track to surpass 2017’s total number in Moore and surrounding counties.
Since January 2018, Animal Services has received four positive results. All of these positive results have been from wildlife. Four of the positives have been foxes. The most recent positive result was a bobcat. However, Cumberland and Lee Counties have had positive results on domestic animals.
In order to protect your pets against rabies, it is essential that you pets be up to date on their rabies vaccination.
Cats, dogs, and ferrets can receive rabies vaccinations as early as 12 weeks of age; however, it is required by law to have a rabies vaccination after 16 weeks of age. Rabies shots are available in 1- or 3-year increments.
The Moore County Sheriff’s Office Animal Services offers 1-year rabies vaccines for $8.00 a shot.
There are simple steps to take to reduce your risk and the risk of your pets to exposure.
• Do not approach, touch, or carry wildlife.
• Do not bring wildlife in to your home, even if it is a juvenile or infant.
• In the event that you get bit by wildlife, seek immediate medical attention and report the bite to Moore County Sheriff’s Office.
• If your domestic pet is bitten by a wild animal, immediately report the bite to Moore County Sheriff’s Office Animal Services, especially if your pet is not current on rabies vaccinations.
• If you witness wildlife acting strangely, but it HAS NOT come in to contact with humans, report it to the North Carolina Department of Wildlife at 1-866-318-2401.
• If there is a dead animal in the roadway, do not touch it. Contact the North Carolina Department of Transportation at 910-947-2233.
• For further information on rabies results for the state of North Carolina, visit https://celr.ncpublichealth.com/rabies
If you have additional questions or concerns having you pet(s) vaccinated for rabies, please call the Moore County Sheriff’s Office Animal Services Division at 910-947-2858.